sound·think

/soundˌTHiNGk/
Noun
The practice of thinking or making decisions with sound in a way that encourages creativity and individual responsibility.

Thursday, March 28, 2013

BerT!!!!!!!!!

So I actually caught a glimpse of sunshine today and finally got a feeling that I had forgotten called "motivation." And this motivation has led me to briefly rave about one of my favorite Lansings bands, BerT.


Unassumingly named, confusingly punctuated, these dudes play super heavy music (but, thankfully, not "Super Heavy") that isn't remotely metal. Slow, droney, strangely melodic, powerful, nearly nauseating in its sonic wall. I just dig 'em. A couple of these guys were in a really fun band called Red Teeth awhile back, and they run a label called Madlantis Records. I've never really listened to their recordings, I think partially because I'm afraid I'll be disappointed at the lack of the visceral assault of the live show... but I should probably change that as there's a bunch at that website. They play often, and at the end of April they're playing at Mac's Bar with Black Flag founder Greg Ginn's probably mildly insane and likely mediocre new band Good For You (named by Mr. Ginn in a rare moment of clarity at what this project probably won't accomplish).

On the "national" scene, I've been trying, and failing to get into the new Strokes record, and I'm glad I wasn't at SXSW this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment